So, I have been MIA again. But this time it’s not the mojo or the lack of pictures (although I do need to take a ton of pictures of finished things).
I’m mostly offline at the moment, just a second here and there to make bank transfers or to write emails, that really have to be written (like official stuff). And there’s a reason for me being offline. I have suffered an acute loss of my hearing on my left ear and now I try to reduce stress as much as possible and while I don’t really feel stressed by reading blogs or messages on ravelry, I think it really gives me more time to focus on other things. That’s why I’m writing this post in word first and will upload it the next time I need to do some urgent things on my laptop.
Beeing offline as given me plenty of time to focus on my creative endeavor.
The vintage jeans I have been talking about are finished. Somehow the fit isn’t as great as I hoped it would be, esp. since I did most of the fitting with a Palmer-Pletsch-Instructor. And the button has already popped off (I installed it badly to be honest). The pockets aren’t deep enough. I have no idea if I’m ready to tackle jeans again, now that I found out, that I can wear the Lands end Jeans without any fitting issues. Why go thru all that fitting if you can find a really great fitting Jeans? But I will wear it and I’m happy to have used some very old stash fabric. I hope to post a real review once I’m back to my old self
Another vintage project is also done. “It cannot fail to please” from “A stitch in time vol.1” by Susan Crawford and Jane Waller. I love it. It’s so stunning. As you might remember, I thought I did not have enough fabric but as it appears I have two more skeins in my stash, so I could have made the sleeves much longer. But alas, it has short sleeves now and I will wear it proudly. It’s a great pattern. The only thing I really disliked was the lack of a knitting chart. I get so confused with written patterns, so I made the swatch and then I could see which stitches had to be stacked on top of each other and I was able to write out a chart myself. The instructions would have been 5 pages shorter if you just could have written,” Knit x stitches, purl y stitches (or so) then follow the chart 8 times, ….” I know, that a lot of people out there really prefer written instructions, I’m just not one of them.
I also knitted the body in the round up to the armholes. While I can see, that shoulder seams do add stability to a garment, I haven’t found, that side seams in knitted garments have any benefits for the fit. Have you found that? I did cast off with a 3 needle bind off at the shoulders and that has given me enough support. The sleeves I knitted flat, since I did not have the brain to convert it into the round at that point.
The yarn is a mystery yarn from my stash. I got it from the sale bin at my LYS a couple of years ago. I think I remember the owner saying, that it was a bamboo blend. It has a great feel and a bit of sheen to it and it will pill like crazy.
I also decided to take part in the summer sew along hosted by Isabelle from the Fluffy Fiber podcast. (if flickr will let me upload pictures at some point, I’m really mad at flickr at the moment!).
I made 2 Polly Tops by “By hand London” so far. I added kind of an FBA to the pattern and I guess I should have added a little more since they are a tiny bit snug over my bustline. The pattern is a freebie and I highly recommend it. It’s great for using up odds and ends of fabric for the contrast insert. The first top I made is made out of linen remnants from the stash. I did chop off the shoulder straps quite a bit after reading reviews that they would run long. Not in my case. They are very snug to be honest. And I forgot to tape down the “dart” that appeared when I made my interesting take on the FBA. So I had to ease in the extra ease at the side seam. But it is o.k. for wearing around the house and when doing errants.
The second incarnation is out of some quilting cotton I also had in my stash for a long while and some cotton satin leftover from old old old projects. So two more pieces of stash gone! (or nearly gone. I have plans for the scraps of the dotted fabric). This time I added some of the extra length back to the straps. Mostly in the back to help with my upper round back as well. It’s better but I think, it can have even more fabric added back to it. I like the top itself, but the bias binding is not my favourite. If I make it again, I will add a facing instead or make a bias facing.
That’s it for now. I have more to show, but that will have to wait for another day or week. I think of you!